Sunday, December 08, 2013

Ober Gatlinburg

My mom had gotten discounted passes for all the attractions at Ober Gatlinburg, and no one was ever able to use them. They were about to expire, which we didn't want to let happen, so we decided to use them ourselves. We had to go on a weekday, and David couldn't get off work, so I invited my friend, Elaine, to come with me instead. I had been to Ober Gatlinburg several times before, but had never done any of the attractions besides the skiing and ice skating. There was so much to do, and it was lots of fun. It was also a beautiful and perfect day with low humidity and wasn't crowded in the least, which made it even that much more enjoyable.


First off, we rode the chair lift.



Elaine and I rode together.


Anthony rode with Mam-Mam and Pop.
He kept calling it a big swing.



When we got to the top of the mountain, they had a live bluegrass band.



We decided to sit a spell and enjoy the music.


Anthony may have done a little dancing.


But he got rocks in his sandals.


How about this view from up there?
I told you it was a gorgeous and perfect day!



Photo ops!



Headed back down.


We rode the alpine slides! So much fun!
Anthony rode in my lap and wasn't the least bit scared - he loved it!


Dad wins!


Elaine and I played a little putt-putt. She made a hole-in-one
on the very first hole, but we ended up tying in the end.


We also ice skated (it's a little blurry only cause we were so fast!)


Anthony got to go to the playground while Elaine and I were off having fun.


This picture does not do this water slide justice - it was huge, scary, and got you soaked. We weren't going to ride it, but decided you couldn't get that wet after watching others ride it. Well, I didn't the first time I rode it, but somehow Elaine got drenched. I mean, not a dry stitch on her. That's what we get for thinking we could ride a water ride without getting wet. After Elaine and I rode, Anthony insisted on going down the slide too. I think he was just barely big enough to ride so I tucked him in my lap and between my legs in the raft. You would think he would have been scared to death, but he absolutely loved it! We got a little wet, but not too bad, and he just laughed when the water sprayed him. Funny thing is, they had kiddie rides that he was too scared to ride, yet he'll get on a huge water slide and alpine slide, so long as you could ride with him. 


We also went through the animal habitat. He's watching the turtle swim.



They even had racoons!




The bear habitat.








They had river otters too!



So cute!


We checked out the arcade games too.
Mam-Mam is showing Anthony how to play Whack-a-Mole.


It was a perfect day, and we had lots of fun, but rain moved in and cut it a little short. Elaine and I were in the middle of the maze when it started to downpour. Again, not the best discernment to venture in when it looked like rain. The poor guys working there were up on the decks trying to tell us how to get out as best they could, and we finally made it out the side exit! Of course, we were already wet from the water ride at this point, so why not! Fun times and memories!

No comments: