I had the chance to attend a screening last night of the movie, End of the Spear. Many of you know the story of the five missionaries who were speared to death in Ecuador in 1956. The one that's most familiar is Jim Elliott, as his wife, Elisabeth, went on to write many books regarding their mission work and his death. To be honest, that's all that I knew too, missionaries had gone to try and reach these people and had been killed. This movie, however, goes on to tell the story from the tribe's point of view featuring one of the missionaries, Nate Saint and his family as the main characters, but I've learned he is no less an amazing man of God than Jim Elliott or any of the others. The movie portrays the whole story from before the missionaries even arrived all the way up until what God has been doing in recent years there. What a blessing it was to learn the happy ending of what I thought was only a tragic event!
David and I hardly ever go to movies, really just because there is nothing good we ever really want to see. I tell you though, this is one of the best I have ever seen! I left completely encouraged that I knew "the rest of the story." The work of the Lord in the hearts of the Waodani people has been amazing since the death of those missionaries. Even with my heart and passion lying with missions here in North America, to see and understand exactly what it means to take the gospel to the nations was an incredible eye-opener to me. I learned of the desire to follow God's calling at all costs, to strive to understand the culture and ways of another, to "become all things to all people, so that by all means some may be saved" (1 Corinthians 9:22,) to stay faithful, and that God is at work regardless of what the circumstances may seem.
With so many Hollywood movies the mess that they are today in our society, it blesses my heart to know there is a group of people out there working to produce such amazing films. Just like The Passion of the Christ, this movie will allow you to feel God's presence as you sit in a movie theater and will open your eyes to His amazing sovereignty.
For anyone that has served in missions overseas or has a heart for the nations, you must see it! It will be in theaters January 20th, and I will definitely be going to see it again. You can check out the websites at www.endofthespear.com or www.everytribe.com.
This below was taken from the brochure from Every Tribe Entertainment I received last night. It can describe it even better than how I just tried to.
As an audience, we are satisfied when we have an entertaining experience. As human beings, we are satisfied when we have an experience that lets us know something we didn't before. Because of this, if a movie goes a step further and educates us in some way, we are grateful. If the movie takes the unexpected (but often hoped for) step of enlightening us, then we are delighted. When movies accomplish all of the above, we will attend them more than once, recommend them to others, add them to our collections, and carry the influence of their imagery with us for life.
No comments:
Post a Comment