Monday, October 03, 2011

Three Months Old

Anthony turned three months old last Friday, September 30th. The majority of last week was a little crazy because he was right on track with the growth spurt that happens around three months. He ate just about constantly (or so it seemed) and never could seem to get satisfied. Also, he had been sleeping most of the night, but was up every couple of hours to eat last week. He was just overall more cranky and fussy all week, and really, it seemed like he was growing before our eyes. I was giving him his bath one of those days and his feet were touching the opposite side of the tub when he stretched out his legs. I knew he couldn't do that the day before, and I thought maybe he was just slouching so I sat him up straighter, but sure enough, he could still touch. We also switched out all of his clothes to 3-6 month sizes when he turned two months, and so help me, even some of those 3-6 month clothes that fit within this last month are so much tighter and smaller now. Thankfully, I think the growth spurt and his growing pains are over for now, and he's been back to his normal, smiley, happy self. He's back to eating on his regular schedule as before during the day, but is still getting up more during the night than he was before, usually around every four hours now. I just can't believe how much he's growing and how big he's getting. He really doesn't seem like a baby anymore, and it's sad, he's getting to where he doesn't like to be held much. I do still rock him to sleep sometimes, but even when he's playing or I'm reading books to him, he doesn't want to be in my lap. He is actually happiest when he is lying down and stretched out and playing and that's when he talks and smiles the most. He's also been rolling around a lot from side to side by pulling his legs up and using the weight to turn himself over. He's been doing that from early on since he prefers sleeping on his side, but he's doing it more and more now when he plays instead of just when he sleeps. It's funny, instead of rolling to the side, he pulls his legs up and will just hold them there a lot of the time. His personality is really starting to come out, and he is very strong-willed and will definitely let you know what he wants and doesn't want. He still has an obsession with his arms and hands, and it's been fun to watch him these last couple of weeks from discovering them and staring at them to working to where he can get his fist in his mouth. He's got it all figured out now, and you'll find him a lot of times chewing on his fist. He was favoring his right arm, but has recently discovered he has a left one too so it's fun to watch him go through the whole discovery process again with it. I took his three month pictures last Friday, but failed to get any really good ones or smiles because of the whole growth spurt/crankiness he had going on. Here are some of them:






I'm including the next two because these are so typical of Anthony right now at three months with his fist to his mouth and curling up his legs.













And just for fun, here are some three month candid/blooper shots:


Practicing some karate moves


Sticking his tongue out at me


Mid-sneeze


Silly grin


We tried out the Bumbo seat earlier this week with Anthony, and he loves it. I think he really enjoys it since he isn't wanting to be held as much and he's always wanting to sit up tall and see what's going on. I've also been sitting beside him while he's in it and reading books to him and he loves that too.




Saturday morning, Anthony woke up early and played and played until he wore himself out and was struggling to stay awake. So, we laid him in his crib, turned his mobile on, covered him up with his blanket, and gave him his pacifier. We were standing there over him and he proceeded to grab his blanket and pull it up with one hand, grabbed his pacifier and yanked it out with his other hand and gave us this, "Really, you want me to take a nap / I know what you're doing to me" look. He stared us down for a good couple of minutes then put his pacifier back in and went right to sleep. He is a character!



No comments: