I know, it has been way too long since I've posted anything. I have been so caught up in finalizing all the summer missionary details at work that I've wanted to run as far away from my computer as I possibly can at the end of the day! So much has been going on even aside from my work the last month as well, and I will catch you up on it soon. I know this is a ton of stuff to post, but I really wanted to give you some insight into the lives of our student missionaries and let you hear what's on their hearts. Last year I created an additional report that I sent to the students before they left for the summer, and below are the responses I received from them. I have done the same thing this year, but haven't pulled together a similar document yet, as I'm still receiving reports back in. Anyway, this turned out to be the highlight of my work last year. I love hearing and telling "the missionary story," and I hope it touches your heart in some way...
Talk about how you felt led to serve this summer. When did you make your decision? Was this something you were anxious to do and jumped at the chance, or were you a little reluctant to follow through with what you knew you should do?
Rebecca - Sojourner, Columbia Basin Baptist Association, Northwest
“I used to teach Acteens and do a lot of missions projects then last year I went with my youth group and did World Changers. I found out about Sojourners a long time ago. My sister, who is now 27, did Sojourners when she as a junior and senior in high school. Ever since she did it and told us of her experience I knew it was something that God wanted me to do. So I told my Dad, and I prayed about it, then I attempted finding out all the information, and the rest is history.”
Michelle - Summer, Crossover Canada
“During my first semester after Canada, I received information about the Crossover program in the mail. I had considered returning again for another summer, but I wasn't sure. Tim Williams said that he would be willing to design a position specifically around me if I returned. This sounded great, but I didn't just want to automatically take the cushy route. We had our College Student Conference soon after where the state gives information about available (and paid for) positions. I saw a position in the Pacific Rim that looked like it would fit me well, and I knew my way would be paid. With Crossover, I would have to raise $1000, but Crossover almost seemed too good to be true. I kept praying about it, and I talked with several people (all of whom said I should go.) Finally, one day as I was reading through Psalms, God addressed every concern I had right there in black and white. So, I knew I should go; I knew if I didn't go, I would always regret it.”
Jennifer - Summer, Super Summer, Kansas
“I served last summer with Super Summer and had an amazing time. I met some great people and saw God do many amazing things in the students’ lives, as well as the summer missionaries. I had planned to not return but after getting home felt God weighing heavy on my heart to return for one last year. The decision was pretty much made as soon as I returned home. Although it was an easy decision to make I had some reservations about it. This would have been my last summer before graduation, and I felt I should be working and preparing for life after college. God had a different plan, and things worked out that I will have one more summer after this. I will be in school a little longer then expected, but if that means I can devote another summer to serving Him with Super Summer I am absolutely ok with it.”
Erin - Summer, Camp Joy Baptist Assembly, Kentucky
“I have always wanted to do a summer missions trip before I finished college and went on to graduate school or entered the work force. Some plans and events in my life changed so I was able to take this summer to do such a missions trip. So in mid-March I finally decided to apply for a NAMB trip and am excited to have been placed at Camp Joy this summer. It will be a challenge, I know, but I am very excited about it.”
Rachael - Sojourner, Mission Arlington, Texas
“I went to Youth Encounter last December in Peoria, IL. A few girls had spoke about serving as a Sojourner missionary, and right then and there I felt God tugging at my heart. I went home and right away told my parents and checked it out on the internet, and the very next week I had everything ready to go.”
Rachel - Summer, Elkhorn Baptist Association, Kentucky
“I started feeling led to serve this summer towards the end of last summer. When it was time to start school again in the fall I felt like I had accomplished nothing. Sure, I had made a little money working, but I felt like I could have made an impact somewhere else. Once school began God kept placing people who had served as summer missionaries in my life. They would talk to me about what they had done that summer and how they saw God move in their lives. This spurred me to begin to look into options for this summer and places to serve. When I finally found a place I felt called to apply to I jumped at the chance.”
Emily - Summer, First Baptist Church, Burley, Idaho
“I have previously worked with the Canadian Convention of Southern Baptists and enjoyed my stay in Canada very much. So I set out to find a short-term trip to Canada. I found one, but it was filled by the time my application was reviewed. I was contacted by a church in Idaho. Idaho! I have never been, and it was amazing because I was expecting it to be from Canada. I was anxious. I remember having summer missionaries in my home when I was little, and I thought it was so cool. This time around I am the one going, and I can't be more excited!”
Brittany - Sojourner, First Baptist Church, Hesperia, California
“I felt led to do Sojourners when I went to World Changers in Philadelphia, PA, my summer of my 8th grade year. Right then I wanted to do it, but I wasn't old enough. This year I wanted to do something that I knew would change my life and make me a better person, something on my own away from my youth group right before my senior year…I remembered Sojourners, got online and automatically applied, not really sure if I would get accepted or not.”
Katy - Summer, Super Summer, Kansas
“I have attended Super Summer since I was a seventh grader. The thought of being a summer missionary always crossed my mind, but I never knew if it was really what the Lord wanted me to do. As I began my first year of college God really began to work in my heart. I felt that He has been calling me to a higher standard than I have ever set for myself: to strive to be more like Him in all that I do. When the thought of being a summer missionary arose, I prayed about it, and decided that I would apply, and the Lord would lead accordingly.”
Jeremy - Summer, Cornerstone Community Church, Ames, Iowa
“Well, my serving at Cornerstone Community Church for the summer was a decision that I had trouble with for awhile. I had thought about serving with them Fall semester of 2004, but I had been a little reluctant due to finances and wondering how I was going to be getting married and future plans without making money for the summer. After my mission trip there during Spring Break I knew that is where I needed to be. God had opened doors in my heart and in other ways confirmed my decision. Now I am so excited and can't wait to get up there.”
Chloe - Sojourner, San Antonio Baptist Association, Texas
“Starting in January, I had been very unsure about this summer. I had my plans, and God had His. When making plans for this summer I didn’t think to consult God about them, I just assumed He would go along with whatever I decided, but was I wrong! Honestly, I didn’t know that I would be applying to the Sojourner program until about 4 days before I mailed out my form! It pretty much fell into my lap, and before I knew it I had embarked on an emotionally crazy journey! This was not my plan for the summer. It was God's, but now I am so excited about how God will work through me this summer I can't wait!”
Hannah - Summer, Kirkwood Baptist Church, Bozeman, Montana
“I have thought about summer missions for several years now, I was just waiting for the right time. At first I was extremely excited about the opportunity and did not have any troubles finding a place to serve. However, as the time got closer for me to leave, and I began making more plans, it got more difficult. I know that God wants me to serve, but it is still hard to follow through some times.”
Jessica - Summer, First Baptist Church, Port Orchard, Washington
“I served on the Oregon Coast in 2003, so since then coming back and serving again has always been on my heart. I initially applied to work for MFuge this summer. I wasn’t offered a job, so I applied for summer missions. I think I was a little bit reluctant at first, but mainly it was me being selfish and really wanted to be at MFuge. I quickly got over it when I was placed and began speaking with a couple of people I'm going to be working with this summer and learning about what we are going to be doing. I couldn't be more excited to be returning to the Northwest. MFuge even called a few weeks ago to offer me a job that had come open. I turned it down, because I'm already so attached to this project, and I haven't even left yet.”
Tabitha - Sojourner, Screven Baptist Association, South Carolina
“At first I was reluctant when I heard how long it was. This is my last summer at home, and I didn't want to spend it away from home, but I felt like, ‘Can I not give God only 3 months of my life? Is that too much to ask of me?’ I am certain now that this is what God wants me to do. I cannot think of any better way to spend my summer than by obeying God and telling people about Him. I think it's official to say that I am stoked.”
Anna - Sojourner, Children’s Ministry Team, Maryland
“I’ve always felt a call to missions, but hearing the young lady at YEC in November of last year gave me an extra nudge to look into missions for this summer. Even though I had heard of Sojourners before, I hadn’t really thought much about applying. I went to the website because I thought it was a neat idea, but wasn’t really serious about applying. Over the next couple of weeks after visiting the website I kept going back, and I felt a need to apply. When I realized that God was calling me to apply I was excited, but very nervous. I am a person who likes to know exactly what’s going to happen to me and when, but I had no idea of what to expect! So I applied in faith that God would take care of everything because He knows what’s best for me more than I do.”
Lauren - Summer, DaySpring Villa, Oklahoma
“I have always been interested in missions, and for a long time I have thought about maybe doing summer missions at some point in my life. I had always put it off throughout my first years of college because I needed to do summer school, and I also worked in the summer to save money and help pay for school. This past year I felt God tugging on my heart and prompting me to apply for summer missions. I really wanted to, but at the same time I knew that if I did summer missions I wouldn't be able to work and therefore, I would be limited on funds for the fall semester. I continued to pray about doing missions, and I turned in my application. I also applied to a Christian camp in TX and asked that God would clearly show me which to do for the summer. I first got accepted to missions, and it was clear that this is where God wanted me for the summer. At first I was a little reluctant, but God worked on my heart, and I became more excited about what experiences I could have while doing summer missions.”
Jaimee - Sojourner, Children’s Ministry Team, Maryland
“From the time I heard about the Sojourners program, I knew God had placed a stirring in my heart to participate, but I did not actually commit to being involved until almost a year later. First of all, it took some convincing to assure my parents I could be away from home for six weeks. The application process then took longer then expected. Throughout the journey though I had no doubt God had his hand in each step and was preparing me for an amazing summer.”
Carrie Ann - Summer, Florence Baptist Association, South Carolina
“I felt called into the ministry my freshman year of college while attending a worship service with my choir. I know that God has called me to serve Him with my life and in some aspect of ministry, but finding that perfect fit has been a struggle for the past two years. I sensed the Lord's nudging me to “Go” this summer by his small voice. I was very reluctant to follow through due to my parents concerns for me to "make money". That seems to be the main priority for my parents and is being drilled into my head as top priority for me. Yet I know that God doesn’t want me to focus so much on that. He's got other plans, and I'm so excited about what His plan entails and where He is leading me in ministry.”
Melissa - Summer, Bethany Baptist Church, Wilmington, Delaware
“Since God called me into full-time missions, I have felt led to as many mission experiences as I could find. I served as a summer missionary last summer and thoroughly enjoyed it. I am never happier than when I am serving God and spreading His love to people who do not know Him. I decided to do summer missions again. I was very excited and eager for this opportunity and jumped at the chance.”
Joshua - Summer, Columbia Basin Baptist Association, Northwest
“I was called to go in many different awesome ways. First, at BSU, the leader was talking about his trip to WA and that they need people this summer, and when I heard this, my heart jumped. I knew then God wanted me to go. Then I was praying about it for God to give me and answer, and He showed me Habakkuk 2:2-3. That says, ‘Wait, and I will tell you.’ Then He showed me Mark 1:38 which says, ‘Come, let us go to another place to preach for that is why I have come.’ Jesus said that. I was reading that, and it spoke so powerfully to me, and I knew for a fact that this is what God wants. Then all the doors were opened, and I walked through.”
Terra - Sojourner, Sierra Butte Baptist Association, California
“I have had a passion for serving God in the mission field since early high school. When I heard about the opportunity to serve this summer, I filled out my application as soon as I could. My references took so long to return, however, that my application was accepted later than I had anticipated. I realized though that I would be filling a position that there was a need for rather than hand picking one. I am certain that God has placed me where He can best use me.”
Cindy - Summer, Mile High Baptist Association, Colorado
“I started looking into summer missions in February before finally deciding near the end of March. Although I have loved doing mission work in the past, committing this summer to missions was a huge step of faith for me. It went against all my previous plans for what my summer would be like after graduating from college. As I laid it before the Lord, however, I realized that I would not be satisfied unless I did what He was asking me to do. So, I applied for the position and watched as the Lord provided for my needs and confirmed this direction of service.”
Brenda - Summer, Rachel Sims Baptist Mission, Louisiana
“I had planned on being at field training this summer preparing for my future career as an officer in the USAF. I found though that the future was one I had planned out, one I had chosen. My passion was with people, was with sharing and loving them. I found that though I was good at something, and it came easily to me, it did not mean I needed to be doing it. I needed to follow my passion, the passion God had placed on my heart. Soon after I withdrew from the ROTC program and the future I had been looking forward to I was presented with a free summer that I could give to My Lord or hoard for myself. Being in God's will and following hard after Him is amazing and always breathtaking. Serving in New Orleans is more than I had planned or pictured. When you allow God to make your decisions, to direct your path, you can't go wrong.”
Christi - Summer, College Heights Baptist Church, Soldotna, Alaska
“I have been praying about doing summer missions for over a year now. I believe the Lord has possibly called me to full-time career missions, and I believe this is a good way to "get my feet wet". I was not reluctant to serve, but I did a lot of praying over WHERE exactly I was being led to serve. It was a process of elimination, and when the right opportunity came along I just knew it was THE ONE.”
Jessica - Summer, First Baptist Church, Port Orchard, Washington
“Summer Missions was always something our BSU emphasized. At the time I didn't realize the importance of it. I had assumed I would take summer classes both summers and graduate on time. As the deadline application approached, I started thinking about it more and more and really felt God tugging at my heart. As I started to pray and think about it more, I remember getting a random call from our BSU Director asking me to think about summer missions because I was someone they thought would be great for it. I thought this was God telling me I had to do it. I kept setting out these fleeces before God, and He kept answering them and calling me. After that things just fell into place, but not until sometime after the application was sent in did I realize this was exactly what I was supposed to be doing.”
Heidi - Summer, Charleston Outreach, South Carolina
“I spent a week in Charleston with 20 other people in my BSU for spring break this year. Throughout the week something in me kept wondering whether or not I should return to Charleston to serve for the summer (the Holy Spirit perhaps). I prayed about this and laid it aside. Some other summer plans to visit Costa Rica through the study abroad program fell through, and so I prayed some more about returning to Charleston. After much prayer I made the decision to come. I was a bit reluctant because I did not have much money for the summer, and I thought the ideal summer would be for me to get a job and disciple some people at home. The Lord showed me His plans, and I obeyed even though I did not, and still do not, completely understand the plan.”
Sam - Sojourner, Screven Baptist Association, South Carolina
“I made the decision to go this summer when I read about Sojourners last summer at Centrifuge. We received the information in a little booklet that described the many opportunities there are to be involved with missions. As soon as I read about Sojourners I immediately felt led to go. Although I thoroughly enjoyed my summer mission projects, I wanted to do more with my summer besides just spending one week at World Changers or doing some other week-long project. The next day I asked my youth minister and Bible study leader some questions about it, and when I got home I looked up information on the internet. The more I learned about Sojourners and the more I prayed about it, the more I felt that this was what God wanted me to do with my summer. When I asked my parents, they were a little apprehensive about me being gone all summer. I finally told them that I really felt that God was calling me to do this. When they said yes, I immediately sat down and started working on my application. Before long it was finished, and my reference forms had been sent in, and I was more excited than I had ever been about anything in my entire life.”
Ashley - Sojourner, Low Country Ministries, South Carolina
“After my 7th grade year I went on a World Changers trip. During one of our services two people, who I knew well, got up on stage and told us about how they were Sojourners for that summer, and they shared some of their ministries. I fell in love with the idea and never gave it up. This year was the first year I could apply, and I’ve been praying about it for nearly four years, so it was a no-brainer decision, and I applied immediately.”
Amy - Summer, Gulf Area Resort Ministries, Alabama
“I felt led to do missions this summer, and at first, I was planning on working at a camp I had worked at previously. I was online in the process of getting the application, and I ended up on the NAMB website and felt led to apply for summer missions. It took me over a month to finally finish the application because I let Satan get in the way. I quickly realized that I had nothing to fear and knew for sure that God wanted me to do summer missions. When I hit submit I had an overwhelming peace come over me and began to get excited about what God was going to do through me this summer!”
Jessica - Summer, New Hope New York
“I had received a pamphlet from the IMB and had originally thought about serving overseas this summer. I talked with my pastor at home about it and told him I wasn't sure I could afford most of the places overseas, and he told me to look into serving with NAMB. He said that God would have to put a gladness in my heart about serving in the states or in a particular state, and then I would know it was from God. So I did and found NHNY, and God really put that Joy in my heart about it. I have to admit that I was excited yet a little reluctant because I didn't know what to expect and really wanted to be used to the fullest and was just hoping I would get placed somewhere where that could happen.”
How did God confirm to you along the way that this was what He wanted you to do? Were there people who encouraged you, books you read, sermons you heard, or verses that stuck out to you?
Rebecca - Sojourner, Columbia Basin Baptist Association, Northwest
“In the beginning it was hard for me to get all the stuff I needed done and just get things in order. I was getting really frustrated, so I stopped and prayed. I said, ‘God, I need your help. I know You want me to go, and I know that I can’t do this without You. This is Your plan, Lord, so please take these burdens and simplify things so I can get what I need accomplished without killing myself over stress.’ Of course He came through and made things a whole lot easier. He made things flow right into order.”
Katie - Summer, Tri County Baptist Association, Missouri
“I believe the major way God confirmed His plan to me was through sending me to college. I attend college about an hour from my home. By living on campus I was able to learn to be away from my close-knit family, yet still able to go home on weekends. In the past two years I have grown more comfortable being apart from my family, showing me how much God has worked in my heart.”
Brittany - Sojourner, Okaloosa Baptist Association, Florida
“I knew I was doing the right thing even though some of my friends kept telling me how I don't need to leave them and things. Although it is hard to leave my family and friends, especially going into my senior year, I know this is what God wants. There are a few people who have encouraged me so much. I have two best friends. One is also going on a Sojourners trip to Beaufort, SC. My other best friend is going to Honduras on a mission trip this summer as an intern to the missionary. They are praying daily for me, and I for them. Also, I have a teacher at my school. She is always telling me how God is working in my life and how I need to be open to his calling for my life.”
Michelle - Summer, Crossover Canada
“God went to a lot of trouble to get me to Canada this summer, ha ha, so I'm sure that's where I'm supposed to be. First, He addressed my concerns with various verses in Psalms. Then, He unexpectedly provided all the money I needed for my trip. Tim Williams told me one day he'd found $500 for me, so I would only have to raise the other $500. Meanwhile, I had applied for the position through NAMB. Weaver McCracken, our State Collegiate Missions person, had said he might be able to get me 1/3 of my total cost (about $300). As it worked out, Weaver decided to make an exception for myself and several others (just for this year) and pay a little more. Weaver got me $500. I talked to him later about it, and he told me he had no idea that $500 was the exact amount I needed to finish paying off my trip.”
Jared - Summer, Tri County Baptist Association, Missouri
“God worked the dates out for me to get to go this summer. At first the dates of the band camp and school starting back was not going to let me go, but I prayed that the dates would be changed if God wanted me to go, and they were changed. My youth minister was a great influence in my life about doing God's work. He has been a longtime friend and is now my youth minister. Nadeine Gold also influenced me to come. I have been doing mission trips with my church to Branson for many years, and I have seen the blessings the summer mission program brings to the local resorts and campgrounds. I felt God wanting me to be a part of that ministry, but I had to wait till I was old enough.”
Erin - Summer, Camp Joy Baptist Assembly, Kentucky
“My family and friends all encouraged me to take this time to follow through with what I have always felt a desire to do. My roommate did a summer missions trip with NAMB during her college career and really encouraged me to do it too. I have been reading Lady in Waiting and felt encouraged to do ministry like this while I am still single. Many sermons at my church in the past year have also encouraged me to step out and share my faith more and practice practically being a witness to those around me.”
Rachael - Sojourner, Mission Arlington, Texas
“There was this saying that has stuck with me: 2/3 of God is GO. That was the main thing that has kept encouraging me that this was the right thing to do. God has also just given me a peace in my heart. It's really gotten to me that I have to leave my best friends, especially since my family is moving while I'm in Texas. Each time my heart gets sad, God wraps His arms around me to tell me that it's going to be alright.”
Emily - Summer, First Baptist Church, Burley, Idaho
“Well, I think first and foremost the Great Commission (Matt. 28:18-20.) It literally tells us to GO. I know that God has amazing plans, and I feel this call on my life to serve Him in this way. I don't know if it'll be long-term or if it's just something I am supposed to experience in college, but I can't think of a better time to serve than now.”
Hilary - Summer, Caring Ministries, Arizona
“I prayed at each step in the process of looking at places to serve, applying to be a summer missionary and talking to friends and family. Although it was all somewhat new to me I felt like it was really what God was leading me to do. My family was very supportive and so were all of my friends. I continued to feel that I have been given so much in my life and been blessed so abundantly that I wanted very much to give that back to others and be a simple servant. I heard Tony Campolo speak in February, and his message was both encouraging and incredibly challenging. It really spoke to me about living completely for God and seeking to make an impact through serving Him.”
Brittany - Sojourner, First Baptist Church, Hesperia, California
“I think God confirmed it for me through my church family and scripture. My church is so encouraging to me, and they tell me all the time how proud they are that one of their youth has actually stepped out beyond their comfort boundaries…A few scripture verses that stick out in my mind that have really been helpful to me would be Jeremiah 29:11, Philippians 4:6-7, 13.”
Jeremy - Summer, Cornerstone Community Church, Ames, Iowa
“Along the way I had been confirmed about serving through several things. One certain circumstance that led me to believe this was when my job that I had willingly gave me a leave of absence after I had been there only 2 months due to other employees coming back to work for the summer. Another circumstance that helped me was the idea that I had another job opportunity ready for me to get me started out in the job market. It was a job at my mom's work that she was leaving and could get me in if this one interview didn’t go as planned. The woman, however, that was interviewed for the job would be taking a pay cut in receiving the job. She took the cut and took the job anyway. Lastly, there were several friends that were telling me along the way how great of an opportunity this would be.”
Amanda - Summer, Columbia Basin Baptist Association, Northwest
“Well, God put on my heart when I was in WA last summer such a burden for the youth there, and throughout the year, I thought about how awesome it would be to go back to WA to work with small youth groups. I didn't have any idea that something like that would actually come about. I don't think I even said anything to anyone about it up there. It was just a desire on my heart. Then when I found out that they were wanting to put together a youth intern team for this summer for the first time, and they told me about it, I was completely in awe! I know it was definitely orchestrated by God because He put those desires on my heart, and then without me doing anything He opened up the door for this incredible opportunity!”
Chloe - Sojourner, San Antonio Baptist Association, Texas
“Well, my plans for the summer were to work at the summer camp I have been going to since I was nine. I had planned on this since last August when I had the opportunity to intern with the camp staff for three weeks last summer. While I was there I had the most wonderful experience, and I knew that a full time position at camp the following summer was the plan for me, and up until about the beginning of April it all seemed like it was going to work. Everyone said I would get the job. People who I had worked under said I had it in the bag because of the good job I did the previous summer. My parents were totally at ease for letting me go for the whole summer which, at first, seemed surprising, but what I really didn't do about it all is to take into consideration the fact that God may have - and didn’t - want me at camp this summer, and since I wasn't really seeking His wisdom and asking His guidance there was only one thing left for God to do to let me know that this wasn't His plan for me, and I didn't get the job. At first I was heartbroken…I cried the whole day long. Something I had my heart set on for eight months was just utterly demolished, but through the midst of my tears, for some strange reason I remembered in the back of my mind a letter I had received from the Missions Prep Network about looking for high school students my age to serve in different areas of the country this summer. When I got the letter in the mail, I really thought nothing of it….I was going to camp, remember? I saved it nonetheless, tucking it away in the back of my school binder, and lo and behold, I decided to give the Sojourner program a shot, and in a day and a half I'll be embarking on a ten week journey of serving the Lord in a place I'd never thought I'd go - Texas!”
Jessica - Summer, New Hope New York
“God confirmed to me along the way that this is what He wanted me to do by people that encouraged me. My roommate had served with New Hope New York last summer, and she continually prayed about me serving in New York as well. Numerous people were in prayer about me serving in New York. The fact that I completed the application late, but was still chosen to serve in New York confirmed this is what God wanted me to do. I was not at peace until I had completed the application. Also, I read the book The Power of a City at Prayer. The book continually speaks about how God is moving in the New York area by uniting differing cultures, decreasing crime rate, etc. This also confirmed to me that God wants me to serve in the New York area.”
Hannah - Summer, Kirkwood Baptist Church, Bozeman, Montana
“God is a gracious God, and He understands our difficulties. So there have been multiple instances where God will bring a book or a Bible verse to mind and use them as an encouragement at just the right time. As for the people, I find that most people just feel sorry for you. Like going away for the summer is some kind of favor that you are doing God. Many people do not understand how to get excited about it, but my family and close friends have been an incredible support to me!”
Daphne - Sojourner, Columbia Basin Baptist Association, Bozeman, Montana
“Isaiah 6:1-8 is the passage that has really reassured me in that Isaiah was a man of unclean lips who lived among a people of unclean lips, and yet God used his availability in magnificent ways. My purpose in life is to know God's glory and to make it known to others. I am encouraged to know that my experiences this summer can be used to transform me more into Christ's likeness, and therefore, I can reflect God's glory more accurately (2 Corinthians 3:18.)”
Steven - Summer, Triangle Baptist Association, Montana
“Everything that I seemed to look at told me that this is what God is wanting to do in my life this summer. Even in the times that I have been discouraged, there’s always been something that has lifted me up. There have been some scriptures, and my pastor, Mike Orr, has always prayed for me. As I was preparing over the last few days God has been showing me encouragement through Joshua and the first few chapters. One verse that is my theme for this summer is Joshua 1: 9. ‘Be strong and very courageous for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.’ Upon reading that verse I was just completely confirmed that He wants to do some amazing things.”
Kaity - Sojourner, Redwood Empire Baptist Association, California
“Little things happened that showed me it was what I was supposed to do. I had mentioned to my ex-boyfriend what God was leading me to do, and he was totally against it. I knew right then that with him it would be a problem. I knew God wanted me to break up with him, but it was very hard to do so. I did break up with him. The Sunday night afterwards the pastor came by and talked with our youth group and our church. It was a sign from God that what I did was right. He also brought a guy into my life who is thrilled for me, and he can't wait to see what God has in store for me this summer. Also, I was reading a series by Robin Gunn Jones, and it was about a girl who was just like me. She was later in life approached with an opportunity to witness and minister to others for Christ, and it was uncanny the resemblance in my life with the fiction books about her.”
Melanie - Sojourner, Words to Works Ministries, Florida
“God confirmed that I was doing His will in many ways. First of all, my parents, who weren't crazy at the idea of a summer mission trip, didn't have a single objection--none. My youth minister and many people in my youth group--adults and students alike--really encouraged me. Before I began praying about Sojourners, I thought of going on only foreign mission trips, but after being approved by NAMB, I began to come across books and articles about sharing the gospel in America. One verse that really stuck out at me was Luke 9:23. I denied my ideas and wants for a mission trip and God showed me that He had something better in mind.”
Lance - Summer, Nome Community Baptist Church, Nome, Alaska
“God confirmed this along the way by closing doors to other opportunities. These opportunities weren't bad, but it was not where God wanted me to go at this particular time. My entire life I have always desired to teach in other cultures. What better place than with Native Alaskans who do not know who God is. Scripture that stuck out to me in my devotion times was Psalm 34:8. ‘Taste and see that the Lord is good, blessed is the man who TRUSTS in Him.’ I really had to trust in God to narrow down my decisions on where to go. Something I learned out of this decision process is that God's will is what is best for my life, and the drives and passions He gives me I should use to glorify His name. I pray I do that in Alaska.”
Brandi - Sojourner, Words to Works Ministries, Florida
“God helped confirm this through making me feel very excited and through the verse Isaiah 6:8. “Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, 'Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?' And I said, 'Here I am. Send me!'" This really sealed the deal for me. My family and friends encouraged me telling me that they also believe God can use me through this experience. The Bible was the book that encouraged me. Reading about the different kinds of people called in the Bible made me realize that you don't have to be the best person, you don't even have to be able to speak right, but when God calls you He will help you to get his message across.”
Stephanie - Summer, West Chester Community Fellowship, West Chester, Pennsylvania
“God confirmed my decision when I was at a service. The pastor was talking about serving others and missions, and God just popped in my head and couldn't stop saying ‘West Chester Community Fellowship.’ I got on their website and read their webpage, and it said pray for students to want to intern for us. Then I came home, and my pastors from my home church started saying summer missions was cool to do and that they thought I should do it. I hadn't said anything to them about this. I really felt that I was in the right place. I could not tell you how much of a peace I have.”
Mike - Sojourner, Mission Arlington, Texas
“Well for one, He let the entire process to apply for this service go extremely smoothly with little time to wonder whether or not this was the right decision. Also, ever since I made the choice to commit my summer I have had an incredible amount of support that I do not believe would be present if God's will was not in it.”
Cortney - Summer, Cornerstone Community Church, Ames, Iowa
“The past few months God has really been teaching me about relying and trusting on His will. When the opportunity to serve was given to me, I was very excited. However, I knew that it would only happen if it was in God's will. So I have been praying for His will and for my acceptance of it. A few weeks ago I had to take a comprehensive exam for school. If I would not have passed, I would have had to forego the opportunity to serve in Iowa. Passing the test was the confirmation that this opportunity was a part of God's will.”
Grace - Sojourner, Screven Baptist Association, South Carolina
“My friend has been encouraging me very much, and when I get scared or worry he is there to say everything is okay because we are in His hands. One of the verses that helps me is John 15:16-17: ‘You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit- fruit that will last. Then the Father will give you whatever you ask in My name. This is my command: Love each other.’”
Tabitha - Summer, Youth Leader Interns, New York
“God confirmed to me in many ways that this was something that I needed to do. One book that spoke to me the most was a book called Seizing Your Divine Moment, by Erwin Macmanus. This book talks about how so often we miss out on divine moments that God has set for us. I knew that if I didn't go this summer that I would miss out on some of the most awesome moments that God had set for me. Another way He confirmed was through my home church. My pastor has spent the whole year talking about missions and the call to go. So many times God spoke to me and laid it on my heart that this is what I needed to be doing for my summer.”
Kate - Sojourner, Pacific Baptist Association, California
“When I finally applied for Sojourners I prayed that God would show me that I was doing the right thing. My parents, church family and friends all jumped at the chance to help me in any way that they could. My mom bought me DC Talk’s Jesus Freaks II, and as I started reading about revolutionaries who changed the world for God I knew that we should all strive every day to change the world. I didn't want to be another Christian who just sat back and ignored what God was saying. I wanted to be someone who helped reach out.
“The first verse that made me realize that this is what God wanted me to do was 2 Tim. 1:7-9. After reading that I knew that God wanted me to be a missionary. Last summer God placed a passion in my heart for the Northwest, and I felt that that is where He wanted me to go again this year. There was a time this past fall that I thought that maybe I was doing this because I wanted to do it and not because God wanted me to. So I went and talked to my campus minister, and we prayed, and I just put it all in God's hands. The next day I got my acceptance letter, and then two weeks later I got my placement letter. There is no doubt in my mind that this is exactly what God wants me to do and where He wants me to go.”
One verse, Matthew 16:24-25, caught my attention. It has always been one of my favorite verses in the Bible, but now it had a whole new meaning to me. It says, "If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me. For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it." I have to give up my own life, choices, opinions and even my own friends to follow God. We surrender our lives to Him in return for eternal life.”
Anne - Summer, Oakland Baptist Association, Michigan
“I knew immediately that this was what God wanted for me this summer. I had been praying for weeks and knew that God would provide for me the summer He wanted me to have, if only I would submit to Him. I knew God would take care of all my needs and was not surprised when I found an organization in two hours time that was willing to let me work for God and take care of my financial needs as well. I knew God was behind the plan and chose to go with it. Since then God has continually provided different opportunities for me to grow in particular areas of my life so that I can more effectively work for Him.”
Brenda - Summer, Rachel Sims Baptist Mission, Louisiana
“I have had little to no fear about this. My heart has been at peace and very excited through the whole process. A friend of mine, a mentor, a partner in Christ, has told me on occasion that she too had peace about this summer concerning me. When others are on their knees for you and their heart is at peace it is encouraging and confirming that this is bigger than just me.”
Sam - Sojourner, Screven Baptist Association, South Carolina
“Something that was a big confirmation for me was a sermon my pastor gave one day about missions. It almost seemed that he was speaking directly to me. The key verse for the sermon was Acts 1:8, ‘But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.’ I have seen and read this verse many times before, but for some reason it really stuck out at me throughout the entire service. Then, at the end of the service when we were getting ready to leave, I dropped my Bible. When I picked it up, my eyes went right to the words, ‘This is the way; walk in it.’ The whole of that verse, Isaiah 30:21, says, ‘Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, ‘This is the way; walk in it.’’ After this experience I definitely felt that this was what I was supposed to be doing this summer. It was also during that sermon that I felt God calling me to full-time missions when I graduate from high school.”
Misty - Summer, Golden Isle Resort Ministries, Georgia
“When I was 17 I began to wonder if being a missionary was for me. I didn't understand what a missionary truly did, but I knew they served God and that seemed awesome to me. It didn't seem meant to be at the time because the doors weren't opening. Within the past two years I was able to experience a lot of great and wonderful things, and with each step God grew to be more and more important to me. I wasn't raised in church, and I was saved when I was 14. Ever since then God has made His way into ever fiber of my life. He is foremost in all of my decisions, thoughts and actions. My current pastor has really inspired me a great deal to be a missionary and so has his wife. They are very supportive and being in their company is very uplifting. They are always say great things about mission work and that encouragement is so awesome. I read the Left Behind series, and after finishing the books I felt such a burden to reach out to the lost so that they would never experience the trials that are to come after the Rapture. A specific verse, Luke 21:25-28, sticks out in my mind greatly. It talks about how it will be like during Armageddon, and if I can do anything to bring someone closer to the Lord then that is what I want to do so they won't be the people who are on the wrong team when Jesus returns.”
What are some of your biggest fears for this summer?
Jessica - Okaloosa Baptist Association, Florida
“I am a little fearful that I won't want to leave at the end of the summer. :) I'm also a little nervous as to what the Lord will reveal to me through the summer. I have been praying a lot about my future plans and all after college, and I pray that He will confirm some things to me and open some doors, but this also makes me a little nervous. I know though that whatever happens, He has gone before and knows what is best!”
Katie - Summer, Tri County Baptist Association, Missouri
“I have a hard time trying to do new and different things, especially talking to people I do not know well. I can do such things, but I try to keep myself from the situation. God has put me right in the middle of a lot of people I do not know, asking me to rely on Him for strength.”
Brittany - Sojourner, Okaloosa Baptist Association, Florida
“I am very nervous about leaving my family for the entire summer. I know that this is going to be an awesome time for me and my spiritual life. I also know that it will be hard for me to be gone for so long.”
Michelle - Summer, Crossover Canada
“We do not know anything about the ministry we are supposed to be starting. Basically, we have to find the Chinese, scope out the best way to reach whichever age group, "wing it," and hope that somehow we can create a church from it. I've never started a church from scratch like that before, so it will be a challenge. I didn't do summer missions because it's cushy; I did it because I was called to do it.”
Jennifer - Summer, Super Summer, Kansas
“I don't like that the spotlight and the role of summer missinaries is to be the ones in front. It’s a struggle for me to have everyone looking at me and depending on me and the other 11 summer missionaries to lead them. My greatest fear for this summer is not dealing with students or teaching daily lessons, but the relationships with the other summer missionaries. Six and a half weeks with seven other girls in a small room with no breaks is something that would wear on the strongest of friends. I fear that the weaknesses in our friendships and relationships will be aparent to the students and conflict with the main reason we are there, to interact with the students.”
Rachel - Summer, Elkhorn Baptist Association, Kentucky
“I really don't have any fears for this summer. I know that God has called me to serve therefore, I am confident that He will be with me along every step of the way. So I really have no fears or worries.”
Emily - Summer, First Baptist Church, Burley, Idaho
“That the people I am around will not like me, but I should get over that soon, I think it'll be just the initial adjustment. This will be the longest time that I've been away from home. I do like being away from home, but this will be a pretty large adjustment. Thankfully, I've already met my supervisor and my teammates so things are going swimmingly with them. I fear that I will not accomplish what God would like me to do. I can't get my hopes too high because there is no way I can do everything! I know that whatever happens nothing is too big for God to take care of.”
Hilary - Summer, Caring Ministries, Arizona
“My only real fear for this summer is that I will not be as bold as I hope to be in my words and in my actions. I have been praying earnestly about this and hope that being in a new place far outside of my comfort zone will allow me to be bolder than I have ever been to share the love and grace of Jesus Christ with others.”
Katy - Summer, Super Summer, Kansas
“I am praying that God will be working in all that we do in Salina. I have no big fears. My biggest fear, to be honest, is that there may be drama between counselors, staff or campers. I am praying that God will keep our hearts patient and respectful to each other. God is good, and He will bring us through anything and everything we do.”
Amanda - Summer, Columbia Basin Baptist Association, Northwest
“I really don't have any big fears about the summer because I feel so deeply that God is sending me there for a purpose, and so I am expecting great things from Him. Sometimes though, I find myself fearing that I won't be adequate enough for the job that is before me, but then I am reminded that I can do all things through Christ, and He is able to accomplish through me things that I could never do on my own. So, I am just trying to keep my trust in Him and believing He will do more than I could ever ask or imagine.”
Chloe - Sojourner, San Antonio Baptist Association, Texas
“My main concern this summer is being away from my family for so long and basically being on my own and away from home for two and a half months. My family is very important in my life, and I know I'll be terribly homesick at times. I also fear greatly of something happening to one of them while I'm so far away. I know God is in control at all times, but Satan has a way of using fear - that chink in my chain, to draw me further and further away from the Lord.”
Jessica - Summer, New Hope New York
“Some of my biggest fears this summer are culture shock and safety. My hometown is approximately 3,500 people. Therefore, New York City will seem extremely large at first until I adapt. I also was raised in the country and do not know much about the city life. However, I am confident that God will guide my way. Safety also plays into the size of New York City. New York City has a higher crime rate than my hometown, obviously, and I know it has decreased, but riding the subway is a fear of mine.”
Hannah - Summer, Kirkwood Baptist Church, Bozeman, Montana
“Not knowing what is going on. Part of my personality is that I like to "have all of my ducks in a row". I like to know what is going on and have a sense of control over the situation. God has already been showing me that even if I do not have all of the details worked out, He does, and I do not need to worry about them. Also, there are times when I feel completely inadequate about serving. I was speaking to a friend of mine that leaves for Israel for the summer the same day that I leave, and she said that she has also struggled with the thought that there is nothing within myself that is worthy of God using me. Though I know that if God called me to serve He will equip me as well.”
Kaity - Sojourner, Redwood Empire Baptist Association, California
“Not being able to fit in with others, people making fun of my southern country accent, changing planes in such a big airport like Dallas, Texas. Also, that the family I will be staying with won't like me.”
Lauren - Summer, DaySpring Villa, Oklahoma
“I think one of my biggest fears for the summer is being asked to speak in front of a huge crowd. I do not like speaking in front of others. The position that I have this summer reqiures a lot of one-on-one, but I know there will be instances in which I will need to speak in front of a group. I think this is something that God will help me get through and stretch me as a person. I also have a fear of not having the right words to say in a situation. My prayer for the summer is that God will give me the words and wisdom in each situation I am in this summer.”
Lance - Summer, Nome Community Baptist Church, Nome, Alaska
“I fear that I will not be able to relate to the culture. I am scared that I may say something that will offend someone and not be sensitive enough to their culture and background. I know, however, that God is the one that is going up there to make a difference and not Lance Sudduth. I just want people to like me, because if they like me then they will like everything that Jesus stands for.”
Brandi - Sojourner, Words to Works Ministries, Florida
“My biggest fear for this summer is flying. Another fear I have is going somewhere that I do not know anybody. I also worry that I won’t be able to share God's word like I should. Although these are my fears I know that God will be with me every step of the way, and I should not be worried.”
Matthew - Summer, Crossover Canada
“One of my biggest fears is leaving my family because my mom has just had a major surgery, and my dad is going to have a major surgery in June, and my grandfather has been in the hospital for three weeks. So my biggest fear is leaving my family with all these things going on.”
Terra - Sojourner, Sierra Butte Baptist Association, California
“My biggest fear for this summer is my health. I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and Chronic fatigue over a year ago, but I am still learning to live with what can be quite overwhelming, both physically and psychologically. Because I believe that God has called me to this position, I must also believe He will enable me be able to do all the things He has called to.”
Grace - Sojourner, Screven Baptist Association, South Carolina
“As much as I am ready for my mission work, I am also really worried about what and how I will be sharing my love for God. Also, leaving my church and my other youth members worries me because we've been one group, and I really hope everything will fit together nicely, but just most of all, I am afraid that I might lose my confidence of sharing my Lord and Savior to the public.”
Brigitte - Summer, Treasure State Baptist Association, Montana
“I have three main fears for this summer: First, that I will not be sufficient, which I know is bogus because with God everyone can be sufficient, but the fear is there nontheless. Second, that I will work myself to exhaustion too soon and not be able to embrace the rest of my service time. (I tend to run really hard, really fast, for long periods of time.) My final fear is that I am giving up a lot of important family events for this summer, and I just want it to be worth it.”
Amanda - Summer, McKenzie Road Baptist Church, Olympia, Washington
“I have two fears really for this summer. One of them would be that I will return home from this mission trip the same as when I left. I want God to use this summer as a time for growing stronger in Him. My other fear would be that the people that I work with are the same when I leave as when I arive.”
Vanessa - Summer, Tanana Valley Baptist Association, Alaska
“Dying in a plane crash, missing my flights, being eaten by a moose and having to eat foods that scare me. Those are physical fears…my spiritual fears are that the people will not be receptive to God’s message. Closed minds are hard to work with, and I pray that God will soften the hearts of the people that I will be working with so that they will be receptive to the gospel.
Rachel - Summer, Baptist Children’s Village, Mississippi
“I am afraid of the unknown. I am very unsure of what I will be doing and how to prepare myself. I am afraid that I am going to get there and not be capable of doing the things required of me. I realize, however, that though I may not be able to do everything, God can and will equip me. I am most afraid that I won't make a difference, that I will come back the same and will leave things the same. I want to be used.”
Stephanie - Summer, Appalachian Outreach, Tennessee
“My biggest fear is the hours I will have to work. I will have to get up and be at work by 6:00 a.m., and then I will not get home till about 8:00 or 8:30. I am just afraid I will run out of patience and energy.”
Anne - Summer, Oakland Baptist Association, Michigan
“I want so badly to share what I know to be true with others in this world who have no hope in life. However, I have fears that I will not be able to show a clear picture of who God is, as in His character, or that I will not know how to answer a question that's been placed on someone's heart. I know this is a silly fear, as God will provide me with the words I need to teach about Christ, and I know that He will be with me and proud of me regardless of whether or not I convey and communicate properly. I hope that I am able to really show Christ to people, regardless of where I am or where in life the person I am speaking with is. I just want to show people Godly Love. I hope I am open at all times to let Christ show that to people through me.”
Steve - Summer, New Hope Community Church, Pasadena, Maryland
“I know very little of what I will be doing, so one of my biggest fear is that I will be thrust into something that I'm not comfortable doing (something God is very good at getting me into.) Also, being away from everyone I've ever known for a few months, in a new place, will be new for me. I'm also not sure how I will deal with the different format of the church (emergant church plant type thing, with little tradition.)”
Sam - Sojourner, Screven Baptist Association, South Carolina
“My biggest fear for this summer is that I will be in a situation where I don't know what to say or I stumble on my words so much that I cause the person I'm talking to, to walk away from the concept of knowing Christ. I am also afraid that if I am ever drilled about my faith I won't be able to think on my feet fast enough to convince the person that a relationship with Christ is worthwhile.”
Megan - Summer, Camp Concord, Virginia
“I have not been extremely nervous about the camp work I will be doing; however, I have been nervous about my host family. I do not know a single person in or near Clarksville, Virginia, and I was so afraid that my host family would not be warm and welcoming. Then one of my friends reminded me that God has called me to this trip, and He would not put me with a family that He did not want me to be with. Regardless of whom I am with I will know that that is where God wants me, and He has a reason that I am there far greater than I could ever imagine. Currently my biggest fears are sweetened tea and spiders. I am also a little concerned that I might overpack.”
Misty - Summer, Golden Isle Resort Ministries, Georgia
“My biggest fear this summer is that I have very high expectations of myself as an example to the children, as a Christian, as well as to my peers and to Shawna. I want to do the best job that I can so that whoever meets me will see Jesus in me and think to themselves, ‘Man, I wish I had what she has,’ and that would be the joy of being a child of the Lord. I don't want to fail in planting the seeds of the Lord to others. I also don't want to fail myself and never challenge myself to reach out and touch as many people as possible.”
What are some of the things you are sacrificing to serve this summer?
Rebecca - Sojourner, Columbia Basin Baptist Association, Northwest
“I am always with my youth group, brother and friends from church. We are always having a great time. I am going to miss them. It is a sarcrifice, but also leading worship on Sundays, it’s my passion to sing for God. I also will be giving up the comforts of home, but I will manage.”
Jennifer - Summer, Super Summer, Kansas
“I don't feel like I'm sacrificing anything to serve this summer. If I wasn't serving I would be working. I think that if I didn't serve I would be sacrificing a summer of drawing closer to my Creator and helping to teach youth about how amazing God is.”
Jared - Summer, Tri County Baptist Association, Missouri
“My friends and family, and the biggest thing is my spot as a conselor at a children’s camp I have served at for many years. The kids there are like my own. I have watched them grow up and grow in Christ, and I will miss them this summer.”
Erin - Summer, Camp Joy Baptist Assembly, Kentucky
“I will not be making money, and since I have graduated from college I will have to come back after the summer and look for a job. This is particularly nerve-racking because I was planning on going to graduate school but am unable to go next year. My degree is not in a field that I can easily find a job in.”
Rachael - Sojourner, Mission Arlington, Texas
“Friends…I have to say goodbye to them for good, otherwise this summer I'd be able to spend more time with them. There was also a cruise my senior friends were going on that I would have went on…so that was a BIG sacrifice!”
Emily - Summer, First Baptist Church, Burley, Idaho
“I sacrificed getting ahead in college, which was part of my original plan…to go to college and then do a little bit of serving, but I nixed that idea. God is way more important than a stinky old education. I sacrificed visiting some old friends in other states. My job. My family, including my father's birthday. I think it's worth it though. God has started something and needs me to help it along.”
Brittany - Sojourner, First Baptist Church, Hesperia, California
“Time with my youth group, trips with friends from school, my birthday, time with family and seeing my nephew grow as he's a newborn right now, being lazy, going on mission trips with my youth group, time with my best friend who just graduated…but all in all I know God's going to show me it's all worth it.”
Katy - Summer, Super Summer, Kansas
“In order to serve this summer, I am gladly sacrificing my summer courses for college. Luckily it worked out, and this will be the only summer that it is not necessary to take courses. I see this as God's perfect timing! Also, I am sacrificing a money break. I recently quit my job of two years because I really felt this is what I need to be doing. Although money is somewhat important, money will never give me the experiences that I will have this summer. Therefore, I do not feel like it was a burden to quit my job, but a blessing.”
Jessica - Summer, New Hope New York
“Some of the things I am sacrificing to serve this summer seem small when compared to the awesome opportunity I have been granted. I have recently started my own business, and this summer would be ideal to stay around in my hometown to really get it going. However, I am confident that God has a plan, and I am following His way, trusting that my new business is in His hands. I also have a significant other as well as family that I will not be seeing for approximately ten weeks, which is another sacrifice. I also had been offered three Nurse Externships at three of the top hospitals in Oklahoma. However, I turned them all down to come serve in New York because I long to do God's will, nothing else.”
Haley - Sojourner, First Baptist Church, Hesperia, California
“One of the biggest things I am sacrificing is a chance to go to the White House with my youth choir on their summer tour up the East Coast. Another thing is sleep; I love to sleep. I guess also just free time to hang out with my friends and VBS at our church.”
Tiffany - Summer, Greater Orlando Baptist Association, Florida
“A lot of people didn't want me to go on this opportunity because I have graduated. I'm sacrificing getting an early start to finding a job, if I will ever find one. I'm also sacrificing spending time with my brother before he goes off to college, a local summer musical that I was supposed to be a part of and a PR thing with Georgetown College. However, I know that this is what God has called me to do.”
Tabitha - Sojourner, Screven Baptist Association, South Carolina
“Well, I'm giving up my last summer, and I wanted to work full-time this summer so I could get a car before my senior year. There are also several other things. I always go to Mexico on a mission trip, my birthday is during the summer, a youth group trip to Colorado and several things with my theatre troupe at school, but I feel God's calling in this, and that outweighs everything else.”
Melanie - Sojourner, Words to Works Ministries, Florida
“The biggest thing I sacrificed for this mission trip was my job. When I left my job at the local library at the end of April, I had worked there a year and a half and LOVED it. I will miss it, but I know that I would have been miserable if I had ignored God's will and stayed. Another thing I am sacrificing is getting to meet my college roommate, but really in the whole scheme of things when people tell me what a sacrifice I am making, I wonder what sacrifice? Doing God's will compared to a job or getting ready for college is no sacrifice.”
Lauren - Summer, DaySpring Villa, Oklahoma
“Well, I am sacrificing not working which will make it hard in the fall and spring as far as finaces are concerned. I am a nursing major, and I cannot work during the school year because of my rigourous schedule. Another thing I am sacrificing is being away from my family during a transition time. My family recently found out that we are moving to another state because of my dad's job. .My family will be reloacating from Alabama to Oklahoma. I am sacrificing helping them move and make the transistion. Again, I am praying that God will remind me that He wants me here for a reason.”
Stephanie - Summer, West Chester Community Fellowship, West Chester, Pennsylvania
“I am sacrificing a mission trip with my church that I go on every year. I am sacrificing time to spend with family and friends that I only see in the summer. I am sacrificing a time to get money for college next year. That is nothing though compared to what Christ sacrificed for me.. I’ve just got to keep that in mind and press on. When I feel down and out and think about oh, I could be at my youth group, I need to think about Jesus and His love for me.”
Joshua - Summer, Columbia Basin Baptist Association, Northwest
“A good paying job, friends, vacations, family…basically my entire life as I know it. I have lived in this same house my entire life and have never been on my own.”
Grace - Sojourner, Screven Baptist Association, South Carolina
“I don’t think I am sacrificing my summer, I believe that it's my responsibility to serve the Lord but just in different ways. For example, instead of serving in my church's VBS, I will be serving in another state's church's VBS. I was planning to do some college planning, but I felt that God told me something else, so I am taking my opportunities!”
Tabitha - Summer, Youth Leader Interns, New York
“Well, this summer I am sacrificing a ministry that I worked this past year to establish; it is an apartment/afterschool program for local kids. I will miss my kids because they are now such a big part of my life, but I know and trust that God will care for them all and keep the program going over the summer. Already people have stepped up to take it over for the summer. Another thing that I am sacrificing is school and a summer job to raise funds to go to school in the fall, but I also know that this will be taken care of.”
Vanessa - Summer, Tanana Valley Baptist Association, Alaska
“I got a great job offer for the summer, but I had to turn them down. I will try to find another job when I get back. Also, this is the longest I will have been away from my family so that will be really hard. Especially for my little sister, who is only eight.”
Steve - Summer, New Hope Community Church, Pasadena, Maryland
“Hmm…I haven't thought about anything much I've sacrificed to go since this trip costs little and will be what I love to do instead of me stocking shelves for a summer, I see this more as an opportunity than a sacrifice. The biggest sacrifice is probably time. I've only been home from school a little while and will leave for school again soon after I return, so I have to give up seeing people for a few months.”
Elizabeth - Summer, Baptist Fellowship Center, Kentucky
“My biggest sacrifice is school. My grades in the past semester were not my best work, and I had the opportunity to make up those grades and raise my GPA by going to summer school, but I had already made a decision to serve this summer and there was no way I was going to give up this opportunity. So I just lost my scholarship for school because my GPA isn't good enough, and I really don't know how I am going to pay for my classes next semester, but it really isn't something I am going to worry too much about. I am positive God has a plan for this area of my life. I am also sacrificing my relationships with people at home. Leaving home is never easy, but being away for so long can dampen relationships. My boyfriend recently broke up with me because, according to him, we don't get to spend time together and me being away for the entire summer won't be easy, I suppose.”
Megan - Summer, Camp Concord, Virginia
“This summer I feel that I am both sacrficing and abandoing. My mother is taking in two more of my cousins this summer. I say two more because one of my cousins has lived with us for the past three years. The two that will be coming are her twin sisters’. They are coming from a rough situation and are far more troubled than my family could know. I feel as though I am abandoing my mother, father, sister/cousin and brother by leaving for Virginia. I feel that I should be helping and doing my share. I would say that I am sacrficing time with my friends. I have formed two wonderful friendships this past semester with girls that I have known for a long time but never been close to until now. I will miss them very much, but I know that we will remain close even while I am in Virginia.”
Do you have anything you would like to share from a previous missions experience, either as a student missionary or on a short-term youth trip? Did God do an amazing work in your life or the lives of the people you were ministering to? What was so significant about your first missions experience that keeps you serving again?
Jessica - Summer, Okaloosa Baptist Association, Florida
“I think last year working at a missions camp for GA’s God showed me so much. I learned that He doesn't need me to complete His task. I know this is something that we should learn and already know, but sometimes we need to be reminded of it. It is a privilege to be used by Him to carry out His purpose. Sometimes we need to be reminded that He can use the smallest things to reach someone and be reminded that through that that we are just vessels He chooses to use.”
Michelle - Summer, Crossover Canada
“The reason I find myself going back again and again on mission trips (besides being called) is that I just love to see God work firsthand. Every summer He works on the people I'm ministering to, but He works on me too. If I can play even a tiny part in a movement of God, I want to take the opportunity and learn from it.”
Jennifer - Summer, Super Summer, Kansas
“God taught me that I am able. I am able to do His work. I am able to step out of my comfort zone. I am able to do so much more than I thought I could. I continue to serve because God has provided the opportunity for me to serve. If a path was not cleared for me to devote summer after summer then there would be no way I could continue this. Being able to witness lives changing all around you is something you can't describe. It is beyond amazing, and I wouldn't trade anything for it.”
Emily - Summer, First Baptist Church, Burley, Idaho
“I am not really sure what was so significant about my first experience, maybe it was that being a missionary can be done by a Christian. It was amazing to step outside the realm of my world and see others from a different view point. You should always be on mission everywhere you go, but there's something different when you are new to the surroundings and you are in uncharted territory.”
Hilary - Summer, Caring Ministries, Arizona
“My first missions experience was a weeklong trip to work at the Savannah Baptist Center ministering to inner city kids. It was somewhat hard to connect with them at first, but on the second day a young boy named Jacorey came up to me and motioned for me to pick him up. He didn't say anything, but he just wanted me to hold him for the afternoon. I will never forget his sweet eyes and how he came back to me the next day and again motioned for me to pick him up. I sensed a short opportunity to be loving to a little boy in a tough world. Thinking of him always reminds me of how many people are hurting and need someone to care for them.”
Katy - Summer, Super Summer, Kansas
“I have been on five mission trips. Each one was unique and wonderful in its own way. I remember serving in Scottsbluff, Nebraska, with my church youth group. We led Kid's Camp's and did repair work for a church. The children we ministered to were independent and incredibly accepting of the love we gladly gave them. God blessed me with an experience to lead Keilly, my eight year old friend, to the Lord. She and I were inseparable. I still receive mail and trinkets from her telling me how much she loves me and hopes for me to come visit. Keilly's story is a blessing in my life, along with the other children and adults that I have worked with. I only hope to connect with others and bring the love of Christ into their hearts.”
Hannah - Summer, Kirkwood Baptist Church, Bozeman, Montana
“I have always felt that God was calling me into the mission field. Two years ago I took a short term missions trip to Uruguay, South America, and the things that I learned there about the grace of God and all the things that He has blessed me with, were well worth the sacrifice of going. I know that the blessings that comes from serving far exceed the costs.”
Daphne - Sojourner, Columbia Basin Baptist Association, Northwest
“Usually when I go on a missions trip I am ministered to more than I minister to others. God has called me to be a blessing in someone else’s life, but in return I am blessed more than I could ever imagine. God indeed does more than we could ever ask or imagine (Ephesians 3:20.)”
Jessica - Summer, First Baptist Church, Port Orchard, Washington
“I knew that after I left the mission field that it would not be the last time I served. I loved waking up every morning knowing that all I had to do that day was serve Christ. I had no classes, no job, nothing to tie me down. I just really loved that.”
Lauren - Summer, DaySpring Villa, Oklahoma
“This past spring my BSM at TCU went on a mission trip to Georgia. During that trip I felt the Lord was calling me into some form of missions or ministry. I am still not clear as to what the Lord has in store for me. I am hoping that through serving this summer God will reveal to me more of what He would like for me to do with my life as far as missions and ministry are concerned.”
Cortney - Summer, Cornerstone Community Church, Ames, Iowa
“I served last year in Porto, Portugal. While I was serving I did not really feel like I had changed that much. When our team arrived home we were asked to speak about our trip in a local church. I didn't really know what I was going to say. I prayed for God to speak through me, and when I started speaking I realized that my heart was full of love. God taught me that no matter what our differences are, He loves all of us. God had filled my heart with so much love for the children.”
Melissa - Summer, Bethany Baptist Church, Wilmington, Delaware
“Every mission trip I have gone on has affected my life in some way. I have grown deeper in my life with Christ and have come to appreciate His love for others and me more and more. I have also been able to discover my personal Kingdom value each time I serve. Last summer I experienced some of God's miracles in providing opportunities to share His love and bring Him into conversations. I grew so much spiritually and learned to appreciate His work in others as valid even though different from His work in my own life. As I expressed earlier, God has called me into full-time missions and being involved in ministry is what brings me the most fulfillment in life. I feel I am right where God wants me, doing that to which God has called me.”
Tabitha - Summer, Youth Leader Interns, New York
“Yes, God did work in amazing ways in my life and the lives of those that I served. The amazing thing is that God is still working in awesome ways in the people that I ministered to. Churches that were dead are now on the way to life. My first missions experience was awesome and filled with awesome people, but it is the joy of knowing that God used me to reach someone who was lost, depressed, hopeless, or lonely, that keeps me serving.”
Brigitte - Summer, Treasure State Baptist Association, Montana
“My first mission experience was just so amazing to see so many people working together to help others and glorify God. As a group you grow really close and become part of a "family," and I LOVE being a part of that family. It is awesome to be a small part of something where everyone is united and working hard toward the same goal. It is unbelievable to see the love that is both given and received, and ever since my first experience I knew I wanted to be a part of sharing that love.”
Ashley - Sojourner, Low Country Ministries, South Carolina
“I've been in love with missions since I was a little girl in GA's, and I’ve always felt Gods hand in missions just listening to stories about missionaries or actually being on the site. A lot of stories have salvation and numbers at the end, but my best experiences have been encouraging other Christians or just planting seeds. One time we were at an Indian reservation, and I loved talking to all of the teens on the reservation who went to the church we were at and being encouraged and encouraging them.”
Amanda - Summer, North Oak Baptist Church, Citrus Springs, Florida
“My first mission trip was this past spring break when I went to Panama with a team from the BCM. I became very overwhelmed by the presence of Jesus Christ that surrounded us the whole trip. I was able to actually see the power of prayer throughout that week, and it was amazing. It has definitely compelled me to use the time I have on this earth while I am young and able to travel and serve to tell people and show people the love of God.”
Erica - Sojourner, Screven Baptist Association, South Carolina
“My exposure to missions at a tender age through Mission Friends and GA’s has made missions a part of my lifestyle. So it feels like second nature to be doing missions somewhere all the time consistently.”
Kayla - Summer, Atlanta Metro Baptist Association, Georgia
“Missions is where I'm meant to be. I know it is what I want to do for the rest of my life. When I am serving I feel useful and special and humble all at the same time. Every time I serve I learn something new about the great God I serve and the person He has made me through His grace. My first mission trip introduced me to the joy of service, and I just keep coming back for more.”
Suzanne - Summer, Carver Baptist Center, Louisiana
“I have only been on two short-term youth mission trips in the past, but those have shown me how amazing it is to serve our Lord. I feel such a sense of fulfillment when I am out witnessing for Him that I can't even describe it! Through the first two trips (particularly the one I went on in 2004), I experienced the look in a person's eye when they finally "got it" and realized the purpose of our life down here on this Earth. To know that I played a minor role in that person's eternity is just amazing.”
What has God been teaching you lately? What has He been placing on your heart for the summer?
Jessica - Summer, Okaloosa Baptist Association, Florida
"Lately God has been teaching me that He knows it all. So many times I want to control things and want an answer to a prayer right away and wonder why it's not coming. The other day I read during my quiet time that I am the Lord's sheep and that He guides me. He doesn't go behind me, but He goes ahead of me. He goes ahead of me to make sure the way is straight and safe for me. He's not going to make me do something He doesn't think I am capable of doing. He's my Adonai. He's my protector and shield."
Rebecca - Sojourner, Columbia Basin Baptist Association, Northwest
“Just be real. Be a friend. There are so many people that just need a friend, someone to make them feel at ease and comfortable. I hear people all the time say, ‘I feel like there is something missing.' They know they have a need and all they need is for someone to show them the way to the Savior."
Brittany - Sojourner, Okaloosa Baptist Association, Florida
“I have really been stressed lately about school and where I will go to college after graduation next year, and God has really just told me to slow down. I have to take time and look around. There are people around me who are hurting and need someone to talk to, and I need to focus more on God and others than myself. Also, He has been teaching me about how to love my enemies. People who don't like me or people who are trying to hurt me spiritually need to be prayed for, not gossiped about. This summer I have really been burdened for teens and youth groups. My youth group has been having a hard time with growing and spiritual maturity levels, and teens need to be discipled and taught how to grow in the Lord.”
Jennifer - Summer, Super Summer, Kansas
"Recently God has been teaching me that I cannot do things on my own. This is a constant lesson that I am taught. I try to do things on my own, and then something comes along that puts me in my place. God has placed on my heart to be willing and not let my own fears get in the way. If I put my trust in Him there is nothing to worry about. Not only to be willing, but also to be open. Open to whatever He has to share with me about myself, but also about others."
Erin Morgan - Summer, Camp Joy Baptist Assembly, Kentucky
"I have been realizing how important it is to train up young people in the way of the Lord and teach them how to deal with American secular society in this day and age. There are a lot of other influences that kids come into contact with, and kids need to be taught how to deal with such pressures in life."
Rachel - Summer, Elkhorn Baptist Association, Kentucky
"God has been really showing me how the Christian life is really an adventure and is something not to be taken lightly. He is showing me that everything can be done to bring glory to His name, and that is a great discovery. For this summer God has placed the importance of prayer on my heart. He is constantly showing me His character and His heart in prayer."
Emily - Summer, First Baptist Church, Burley, Idaho
"He has been teaching me about students. Developing my patience with them and giving me a heart for them. It is essential that they know Christ. It's so vital that they start learning the beauty of God now. I have been given the option of working with high school kids or the younger ones, and I really don't know what to choose. He wants me to step out of my boundaries even more. I have become a hermit in that respect and that wall needs to be torn down. My heart is heaviest for the people that make up the region I'll be going to, which is predominantly Mormon. I have shyed away from witnessing to them and revealing the truth, but God has placed me in this area to overcome it and learn how to communicate with them."
Hilary - Summer, Caring Ministries, Arizona
"Lately He has shown me His incredible providence and faithfulness. I was a little nervous that since I would not be earning money this summer I would struggle next year to be able to pay for books and expenses and might need to work during school. I prayed for peace about it and for growing trust in God to take care of things as He always does. However, within a short time He has blessed me with financial gifts that I never would have expected."
Brittany - Sojourner, First Baptist Church, Hesperia, California
“For the past few weeks I've been so apprehensive about this entire trip, and God's been teaching me patience and teaching me how to have joy in any circumstance. It seems like I'm going to be missing so much here at home, but there are lives that have to be reached. None of this is for me, but it's all for God. Just like the song "It's not for me, it's all for You." He's burdened my heart so much for the lost in California. There have been people I have talked to online from Hesperia that have no idea who God is, and I know how much these people need the Lord.”
Katy - Summer, Super Summer, Kansas
"God has very much been alive in my everyday life. Today, my challenge was to 'Abhor evil and cling to what is good,' which was from Romans 12:9. Each day I make a goal of how to emphasize Christ's love through my actions. Some days it is harder than others, but God leads me through each step. For the summer I am really working on acquiring a servant's heart and establishing bonds with students that I enteract with. Those are the two main goals although many more will be set along the way."
Amanda - Summer, Columbia Basin Baptist Association, Northwest
"Lately God has been teaching me what it means to truly trust Him and to believe Him to work in my life and the lives of others. He is continually deepening my faith and renewing my passion for Him. He has been placing on my heart the need for me to go this summer completely in His strength and power, not in my own. I want to be so in tune with Him that each step I take and every word I speak is completely led by His Spirit. He has also been reminding me that every small thing that happens, whether good or bad, is all part of the big picture that God has in store that we can't see yet."
Chloe - Sojourner, San Antonio Baptist Association, Texas
"I know God has been working on my heart for this missions trip, and I know that Satan has been trying his hardest to break down everything God has been building up to me. It's been very hard trying to find God while being spiritually attacked, but in the end I take comfort in the fact that Satan wouldn't be attacking me if he didn't consider me a threat! One thing in particular that God has placed on my heart for this missions trip is Romans 12. Especially the verse that states 'Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you.' I must keep in mind that this trip is all about Him and when people applaud me for taking a brave chance I must remember that this is ALL about God and not man's empty praise."
Jessica - Summer, New Hope New York
"Lately, God has been teaching me about faith and worry. My heart keeps questioning the decision I have made to serve in the New York area, and repeatedly God keeps teaching me that to worry is a sign of unbelief in Him. If I truly trust Him, then I need to follow His path He has laid before me and trust Him without worrying. Not to do so is unbelief and shows a lack of faith in Him. God has been placing leadership for Him on my heart for this summer. He has been preparing me to be more assertive in sharing His name/His word instead of shy and afraid to do so. I cannot wait to proclaim His name through ministry this summer."
Hannah - Summer, Kirkwood Baptist Church, Bozeman, Montana
"One of the things that I have always struggled with is allowing other people to build my relationship with God for me. I have grown up in a wonderful Christian home with a wonderful godly church, and sometimes it is hard to give up the "milk for the meat". God has begun to show me that this summer I will be stripped of all the people and things that I rely on."
Lacy - Sojourner, Pacific Baptist Association, California
“That we don't have an eternity to share Christ…all we're promised is THIS MOMENT, not the next, and that I should discard all fear and reservations about this summer and not to hold back, but to boldly proclaim Christ, His love, and His gift of salvation to all people…before it's too late.”
Melanie - Sojourner, Words to Works Ministries, Florida
“God has really been placing Luke 9:23-26 on my heart: Then he said to the crowd, "If any of you wants to be My follower, you must put aside your selfish ambition, shoulder your cross daily and follow Me. If you try to keep your life for yourself, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for me, you will find true life. And how do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose or forfeit your own soul in the process? If a person is ashamed of Me and My message, I the Son of Man, will be ashamed of that person when I return in My glory and in the glory of the Father and the holy angels.” He has been teaching me that the only way to truly follow Him is to practice self-denial. Every time I think of this summer, He reminds me that I won't ever be an effective witness for Him until I deny myself. It's a hard lesson, but satisfying.”
Lance - Summer, Nome Community Baptist Church, Nome, Alaska
"God has been teaching me humilty. Sometimes I start to think I am better than others, but Christ is showing me that in order to be a slave I have to realize that I am no better than the worst person in the world. That is hard for me, but God is breaking me down. God has been placing on my heart to love people unconditionally and be an intentional Christian. What I mean by that is to be conscience of how I respond and how I act around everyone I come in contact with. Be deliberate in my motives to show Christ in every aspect of my life."
Brandi - Sojourner, Words to Works Ministries, Florida
"God has been teaching me that even though I am young and am not the best at things I am still able to do His work. He placed on my heart for this summer that all I need to do is focus on Him and learn and grow for Him and help others learn."
Chad - Summer, Crossroads Community Church, Ames, Iowa
“I just get a good feeling of myself when I am serving and sharing Christ to others. I love to share the lessons that God has taught me. My first missions experience was a little shaky, but I have felt for a long time that God wants me to do missions. I’m not sure if He wants me to do it full-time or if He wants me to go every now and again, but I know that He will make that clear to me when the time is right.”
Melissa - Summer, Bethany Baptist Church, Wilmington, Delaware
"Lately God has been teaching about the importance of truly fervent prayer. He has called His children to be people of prayer, only experiencing true communion and worship through spending time with Him as He wants to be worshiped. He has placed on my heart to be a true child of prayer, placing every aspect of the ministry as well as my friends and family back home in His hands. God has placed on my heart to be a genuine servant leader, showing His love faithfully through service without desiring recognition for myself. I would like to be a truly open and empty vessel for Christ to live through."
Steve - Summer, New Hope Community Church, Pasadena, Maryland
"In keeping with the "missions as a lifestyle" concept God has been teaching me, I have learned much about how we have to truly live as Jesus did - not valuing our own posessions or safety over reaching and serving people. We can't reach people hiding in churches. We must go out onto the front lines of our work places and schools and actually live with a love that compels people to take notice of God. Also, I have become enraptured with studying about God from many points of view (theologians, accounts of missionaries, church history and doctrine, etc.) and believe one of the best things I can do is to share this passion for a continually larger view of who God is - to cause people to ask questions about God and to seek Him anew."
Jessica - Summer, First Baptist Church, Port Orchard, Washington
"I think God has been teaching me two big things right now. The first is to see people as more than just a person you pass or just see. I have been learning to see people for more than just what you see on their outside, to see them as someone who may not know God. Someone who might be struggling with something or someone who may just need to see God's love through someone like me. I've also been learning to see the urgency of people and to know that if they aren't a Christian, who's to say how long they have here? Now is the time. I am still working on doing something about that, but I am realizing that right now. The second thing is the other day I was thinking of how I have really been seeing this summer as something that it is not. I felt selfish. I realized that I have been seeing this mission trip as something to brag about, an extended great vacation, a way to get away and do something new or whatever else. Then God showed me the real reason I was going, and I have been praying about it and working on that. I want to be unselfish and go to share the love of God with others and not as anything else."
Sam - Sojourner, Screven Baptist Association, South Carolina
" This year I have really struggled with giving everything over to God, and in these past few months He has been teaching me to totally rely on Him. He has shown me that when you give all your troubles over to Him things become much easier to deal with. The verse Phil. 4:13 which says, 'I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me,' and Psalm 37:5 which says, 'Commit everything you do to the Lord. Trust Him, and He will help you,' have really stood out to me and have helped me come to this realization. By helping me learn this lesson, God has also taught me that no matter what I am afraid of during the summer, He will be right there by my side to help me and guide me through whatever comes my way."
Erica - Sojourner, Screven Baptist Association, South Carolina
"God is teaching me to be patient and wait on His plan and that it is okay if I am not sure what my future holds because I know that He has a plan and that He will take care of it. He is teaching me to rely on His leading on how to lead conversations into a meaningful conversation that leads to Christ. My heart is for the kids and young adults that we have been in contact with."
Suzanne - Summer, Carver Baptist Center, Louisiana
"God has really been giving me a harsh lesson in faith lately. I have a tendency to try and fix all of my problems and run my own life, and He is using this time to tell me that He wants to be that person, He wants to be in control, and I need to just trust that He can take care of it all. It gets hard at times, but I can already see the fruits of surrendering control to Him, and I am so excited to see what kind of person I will be at the end of this summer."
Is there anything else you would like to share concerning this summer?
Emily - Summer, First Baptist Church, Burley, Idaho
“This summer should be really amazing. I am so awestruck that I've been chosen out of the many applicants to GO. I can't wait to see how things will unfold. I am really impressed with how the Utah/Idaho Convention works. A lot of my state stuff was given to me within days of being notified of the opening. My supervisor Dave Carter seems like he is on top of things and will be a great leader.”
Hilary - Summer, Caring Ministries, Arizona
“Thank you so much for helping to create this opportunity for me to serve as a summer missionary. I feel truly blessed to be able to do this and thank you for your prayers and support.”
Brittany - Sojourner, First Baptist Church, Hesperia, California
“The only thing is that I don't want any of this summer to be about me. I want to be able to remember that it's all for the Lord, and it's all going to be worth it. I'm really excited because not only is God going to work in the lives of the people we speak to, He's going to work in the lives of us as Sojourners as well.”
Katy - Summer, Super Summer, Kansas
“I am really looking forward to this experience. I know that my life will never be the same again, and I love that! Thank you for allowing me to be a part of this.”
Amanda - Summer, Columbia Basin Baptist Association, Northwest
“I am going knowing that God is at work and whether I am just a seed planter or a harvester, it is all of the same value and importance! I may share the love of Christ with many this summer and never see them come to Christ, but God may put me in certain people's lives just to plant a seed in their heart. Then it may be that others have planted many seeds in a person's life already and when I get to them and share Christ, they are at the point where they are ready to receive. Whatever happens I don't want to get discouraged when I don't see immediate results because I know that God is working to put the whole big picture and His perfect plan together for His honor and His glory!”
Hannah - Summer, Kirkwood Baptist Church, Bozeman, Montana
“I would like to say thank you for making the application and placement process so easy. I was amazed at the number of opportunities available and at the system that has been established to place the various applicants. Thank you for making finding a place to serve so easy.”
Steven - Summer, Triangle Baptist Association, Montana
“I am excited because of what God has been teaching me, and even some of the struggles that I have faced in the preparation. I know that God can do some amazing things for His Kingdom this summer.”
Kaity - Sojourner, Redwood Empire Baptist Association, California
“That even though I am scared I know this is God's will and that this is going to be a terrific trip and opportunity to share Christ's message to anyone and everyone that will hear it and be willing to accept it.”
Tiffany - Summer, Greater Orlando Baptist Association, Florida
“I hope that this short term mission position will lead to bigger and better things. I know God is calling me into some sort of ministry. I just don't know what.”
Tabitha - Sojourner, Screven Baptist Association, South Carolina
“I know this is going to be a faith growing experience. I also feel that He is going to unveil a lot about me or my life this summer, but most importantly I feel He is going to reveal Himself to me and to others around me.”
Lacy - Sojourner, Pacific Baptist Association, California
“I am excited about how God will use me this summer and what He will teach me. I am ready to go and serve in whatever way God desires and am eager to reach others for Christ. My youth minister has recently embraced a new slogan, and I in turn have adopted it as mine also…JUST ONE MORE!!!”
Melanie - Sojourner, Words to Works Ministries, Florida
“I'm really excited and looking forward to what God is going to do. I can't wait!”
Lance - Summer, Nome Community Baptist Church, Nome, Alaska
“I pray that God uses not only me, but also others to help these people see that He is the way, the truth, the life. I also pray that I will be able to teach them something about 1 Cor. 13 and also be open to learn something myself from the Native Alaskans as well as God.”
Melanie - Summer, Super Summer, Kansas
“I am beyond excited to serve with a group of people who all feel God's calling to be in the same place this summer. That is an amazing thing! I cannot wait to see what God does!”
Melissa - Summer, Bethany Baptist Church, Wilmington, Delaware
“I am very excited about all the work I am going to be doing. I am also eager to see how God is going to work in the lives of the people to whom we will be ministering. I can't wait to experience what God has in store and learn everything He wants to teach me about Himself.”
Kate - Sojourner, Pacific Baptist Association, California
“I feel that this summer is going to be a growing experience for me. I want to help others know Christ and grow in Christ, but the teacher is always taught something too. Hopefully I can make a path for others who want to make a difference in their own life and others’ lives as well. I want children and youth to see that even at a young age they can begin to impact the world. If you put your mind to something and simply have faith anything is possible.”
Bethany - Summer, Baptist Tabernacle, Louisville, Kentucky
"I want to allow God to lead me this summer away from the other pressures that I usually have in my life. I want to search His will in everything and follow it. Then when the summer is over I want to continue to do so when I return to my "everyday life." Also I hope that I can settle some of the questions I have about my future and what God wants to accomplish through my life. I want to come away from the summer with experiences that I can use in the future."
Anne - Summer, Oakland Baptist Association, Michigan
“Let me restate how thrilled I am to be working for Christ, not dividing my attention into many things, but focusing solely on Him for an entire ten weeks.”
Steve - Summer, New Hope Community Church, Pasadena, Maryland
“Just that I am scared, but very excited. I've wanted to work for a church for so long, and I know God will teach me so much even as He reaches others through me.”
Jessica - Summer, First Baptist Church, Port Orchard, Washington
“I've never done anything like this before. I am so nervous, but at the same time so very excited. I can't wait! I know this is exactly what God wants me to do this summer, and I can't wait to see what He is going to do in Washington.”
Kyle - Summer, Charleston Outreach, South Carolina
“I am very excited to see what the Lord has planned and think it’s awesome that He is letting a sinner like me be a part of it.”
Sam - Sojourner, Screven Baptist Association, South Carolina
“I am really excited about what God has in store for my partner and me this summer. I am also very thankful that there is an organization like NAMB that allows teenagers to be able to experience God and do things for Him that may not have been possible otherwise.”
Ashley - Sojourner, Low Country Ministries, South Carolina
"He has really been placing my church back home on my heart. This summer I want God to change me so I can go shine His light back home. This summer I hope to accomplish more than my youth minister could want. He wants us to raise the bar on his ministry, and I want to help him raise it. I am ready for whatever God can show me."
Megan - Summer, Camp Concord, Virginia
“I am so excited to go to Virginia for the summer and experience a whole new world and a side of myself that I have never known. I would just like to ask that whoever reads this will keep my family, especially my mother, in their prayers throughout the summer.”
Amanda - Summer, North Oak Baptist Church, Citrus Springs, Florida
“I am very nervous, but very excited to see what God has planned for this church! I cannot wait to see how He can use me!”
Melissa - Summer, Golden Isle Resort Ministries, Georgia
"This summer God is really stretching and growing me in areas that I am not particularly comfortable. I am learning to be open to wherever He leads. It's not my ability, but my availability that matters because it is He that uses us. We can do nothing in and of ourselves."
Suzanne - Summer, Carver Baptist Center, Louisiana
“People have asked me about a million times, ‘How did you end up doing this?’ because it is so uncharacteristic of me to hop on a plane and go to Louisiana, and I am so excited to reply that I'm just answering God's call. You cannot possibly understand the joy that is in my heart every time I think about that. I pray that this can be an inspiration to people, that they can see how much comes from taking that first step. And just think…I haven't even left yet! I can't wait to tell my story when I get back.”
Jaimee - Sojourner, Children’s Ministry Team, Maryland
“I want to thank NAMB for giving me and others the opportunity to participate in Sojourners. Philippians 1:3-6 is coming to mind right now. ‘Every time I think of you, I give thanks to my God. I always pray for you, and I make my requests with a heart full of joy because you have been my partners in spreading the Good News about Christ from the time you first heard it until now. And I am sure that God, who began the good work within you, will continue His work until it is finally finished on that day when Christ Jesus comes back again.’”
No comments:
Post a Comment